Breaking News

Sharp Surge in Civil Service Attrition, Record 5000 Personnel Exit in One Year

โ€ฆ๐‘น๐‘ช๐‘บ๐‘ชโ€™๐’” ๐’“๐’†๐’‘๐’๐’“๐’• ๐’“๐’†๐’—๐’†๐’‚๐’๐’” ๐’‚ 16% ๐’‚๐’•๐’•๐’“๐’Š๐’•๐’Š๐’๐’ ๐’“๐’‚๐’•๐’† ๐’‚๐’๐’… ๐’”๐’Š๐’ˆ๐’๐’Š๐’‡๐’Š๐’„๐’‚๐’๐’• ๐’…๐’†๐’‘๐’‚๐’“๐’•๐’–๐’“๐’†๐’” ๐’‚๐’Ž๐’๐’๐’ˆ ๐’—๐’‚๐’“๐’Š๐’๐’–๐’” ๐’“๐’๐’๐’†๐’”, ๐’‘๐’“๐’๐’Ž๐’‘๐’•๐’Š๐’๐’ˆ ๐’“๐’†๐’‡๐’๐’“๐’Ž๐’” ๐’‚๐’๐’… ๐’…๐’Š๐’”๐’„๐’–๐’”๐’”๐’Š๐’๐’๐’” ๐’๐’ ๐’•๐’‰๐’† ๐’”๐’†๐’„๐’•๐’๐’“’๐’” ๐’‡๐’–๐’•๐’–๐’“๐’†.

Sonam Deki

The Royal Civil Service Commission’s latest annual report, covering the period from July 2022 to June 2023, has unveiled an unprecedented exodus from the civil service, with nearly 5,000 employees bidding farewell. The report exposes a concerning attrition rate of 16 percent, a figure almost double the previous year’s rate, signaling a critical challenge for the administrative sector.

The report divulges that among those departing, more than 3,000 were regular employees, while over 1,500 were contract-based workers. The reasons for departure were diverse, with approximately 3,500 employees opting to resign voluntarily and nearly 500 attributing their departure to the delinking of agencies. However, almost 600 exited upon completion of their contract.

The dynamics of this exodus are further delineated as around 230 individuals exited due to superannuation, while 16 faced termination due to disciplinary issues. An additional 15 left citing withdrawal, 13 were compelled into retirement, and 11 were influenced by incorrect updates.

The professional and management categories were most impacted, contributing a significant portion of the departures, numbering 2,600. In contrast, the executive and specialist positions recorded the lowest attrition, with only 38 employees relinquishing their roles.

Addressing this alarming trend, the Royal Civil Service Commission has taken proactive measures, as highlighted in the report. These proactive initiatives encompass a shift towards flexible human resources recruitment, an extension of the superannuation age, and the strategic hiring of resigned and retired individuals on a contract basis. The Commission also advocates for improved remuneration and incentives, enhanced supervision and staff engagement, and an increased scope for entering civil service through the Bhutan Civil Service Examination, with unlimited attempts.

Additionally, the Commission aims to bolster staff recruitment for the upcoming 2024 intake.

This record-breaking exodus has ignited urgent discussions on the future stability and effectiveness of the civil service sector, prompting a comprehensive reevaluation of policies and practices to retain talent and sustain administrative competence.

According to the Civil Service Statistics for the period spanning July 2022 to June 2023, the overall count of civil servants stands at 29,241. Among this total, 60 percent are males, numbering 17,549, while the remaining 40 percent consist of females, accounting for a total of 11,692 civil servants.

Leave a Reply